Along the Tracks

Friday, March 21, 2003
 

Maybe I should take a nap


Well, there’ve been some scenes, statements and stories which have penetrated my grizzled-gruff exterior and almost choked me up:

  • First and foremost, the loss of our soldiers (including eight Brits). God comfort the families and protect our forces.
  • A little boy, chocolate smeared on his beaming face, cheering “Ameriki! Ameriki!” (as reported by CBS). One of our boys gave him the chocolate.
  • I don’t know why, but watching our soldiers carefully, but respectfully, search the bedraggled Iraqis who were surrendering got to me too. Last night I said something about Americans, through the embedded journalists, would get a valuable and much-needed opportunity to see our young men and women in action - not just, or even primarily, battle, but all the other things they are trained to do in a conflict situation. I said they’d do us proud. They are.


  • Comments: Post a Comment