Along the Tracks

Monday, December 09, 2002
 

When a Lott is way too much


I wrote an entire blog entry based on what I heard about Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott’s remarks at Strom Thurmond’s 100th birthday party. I just deleted it, after tracking down the transcript. LOTT HAS GOT TO GO!

Here are Lott’s comments:
“I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn’t have had all these problems over all these years, either.”

I can scarcely believe what I just read - David Duke would hardly have spoken differently. And according to the Washington Post, even Thurmond’s family and close friends were aghast at what Lott had to say; remember, Thurmond disavowed his previous views when he joined the Republican Party in the mid-1960s, and went on to champion black candidates for judgeships and even sent his children to a desegregated public school.

At first, I leaned toward excusing the Majority Leader’s words as some extravagance aimed at praising the centenarian Senator on his exit from politics - but I’m sure glad I didn’t post those thoughts before reading the actual quote! What Lott said is disgusting and inexcusable. If he really believes “we wouldn’t have had all these problems,” then his politics are completely inconsistent with conservative ideals of equal opportunity and a colorblind society.

Those who hound Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (and Bill Clinton) as the race-baiters they are had better speak just as loudly about Lott and his offensive display.

As a conservative who regularly identifies with the GOP, I want Lott kicked out of the Republican Party.


Comments: Post a Comment