Along the Tracks

Friday, March 15, 2002
 

WWJD?


Rosie O’Donnell was the feature of a prime time interview last evening. No, I do not wish to comment on the concept of gay adoption - to me, that’s a personal issue tied to your religious beliefs. Each person must weigh it in their own hearts and decide where they stand for themselves.

Setting aside the “gay” issue entirely, I want to say I believe Rosie to be an exemplar of Christian charity. This woman takes time on a regular basis to interact with foster children who have suffered horrible sexual abuse and have lost their faith in adults. She visits their group therapy sessions, talks with them, plays with them, shows them unconditional love. She helps them take those first few steps toward renewed trust.

While being a strong public advocate for foster children, she has never, to my knowledge, promoted her own charity efforts or how she personally works with these children. Such compassion opens one to heart-wrenching pain. According to Rosie, the rewards are well worth the price.

What would Jesus do? “As you have done for the least of my brethren, so also you have done for Me.”

I’ve never been a fan of Rosie the entertainer (just ask my wife Jeanne!), but I’m a huge fan of Rosie the person.


Comments: Post a Comment